It looks like point-slope but it is not. I cannot find the name anywhere althought it seems to used for linear approximation. Can anyone help ?
in Algebra 1 Answers by

Your answer

Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:
To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.

1 Answer

Yes, it is point-slope form, the slope being m and the point (x₀,y₀).

Other forms are slope-intercept.

This is a linear representation.

It can be used in precalculus to approximate to the gradient of a curve, by taking two points close together on the curve, joining them together with a straight line, and working out an equation for the gradient around  a point. Sometimes it’s referred to as the tangent line or equation of the tangent. It is a linear approximation to a tangent line and the concept is a stepping stone to learning about differentials, or differential calculus. It is useful for predicting values of a function, and a method, known as Newton’s Method, essentially uses the idea to solve equations that might be difficult to solve in any other way.

by Top Rated User (764k points)

Related questions

1 answer
Welcome to, where students, teachers and math enthusiasts can ask and answer any math question. Get help and answers to any math problem including algebra, trigonometry, geometry, calculus, trigonometry, fractions, solving expression, simplifying expressions and more. Get answers to math questions. Help is always 100% free!
85,095 questions
90,229 answers
59,986 users