Can someone explain how I solve fractional exponents problems where a number is raised to a fraction power? For example

in Algebra 2 Answers by

Your answer

Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:
To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.

1 Answer

we can also write this problem as 16^3(1/4) We have factored out the 3 from the 3/4 leaving 1/4.  If you multiply 3 times 1/4 you get 3/4

Now that you have a whole number exponent you can take 16 cubed which give you


so you have 4096^(1/4)

Then you can take the 4th root of 4096 which ends up as 8


To do this another way, You can start by taking the 4th root of 16 which is 2

raise that to the 3rd power


Either way you get the correct answer.  The key is to get a 1 in the numerator of the fraction by factoring out the whole number numerator.  Once you have that you can raise the number to the whole number power or you can take the root of the remaining fraction.  Either way is correct.
by Level 4 User (9.6k points)

Related questions

1 answer
asked Nov 28, 2012 in Algebra 2 Answers by anonymous | 338 views
0 answers
1 answer
asked Nov 21, 2019 by Crowly | 142 views
1 answer
asked Jul 9, 2018 in Calculus Answers by anonymous | 227 views
1 answer
Welcome to, where students, teachers and math enthusiasts can ask and answer any math question. Get help and answers to any math problem including algebra, trigonometry, geometry, calculus, trigonometry, fractions, solving expression, simplifying expressions and more. Get answers to math questions. Help is always 100% free!
87,184 questions
97,330 answers
24,564 users